Sunday, January 27, 2013

New year, same story.

I'm hibernating for the rest of winter. It's too damn cold to be trekking over to Akron to be a social phenomenon on the gay bar circuit. I've been to Adams Street, Square, Cocktails, Daddys... I know the bartenders and the regulars. It's been a weekly thing for months now. I've even been to 442 and the Funky Skunk locally. I hate going to the local bars. I seriously hate going to the local bars. Although, I love that I can still smoke inside 442. That's about it. Also, the drinks are fairly cheap there. But, I'm hibernating for the rest of winter. It's too damn cold to go anywhere and do anything right now.

It's even too cold for work, but I go. I'm currently in orientation at the call center, the same call center where I previously perpetuated anti-Obama propaganda and peddled NRA memberships like a right-wing lunatic. This time I'm in the media department. No cold calling and harassing people. The callers are already interested in the services we provide and I just need to attempt to upsell them to the most expensive package before giving them whatever they're actually interested in. The programs I've practiced with so far seem incredibly easy to navigate compared to the legion of programs I was expected to master for the tech support thing. Oh, I forgot to mention... No more cheese factory. I'm very depressed about that. Everything seemed to be going so well - until it wasn't and I was laid off. Oh well. I'm also filling out every possible application I can get my hands on and forwarding my resume to any HR department I can. I have two scheduled interviews: both for management of some kind. Shocking, I know. But, that's the kind of paycheck I would like to have again and the lifestyle to accompany it. So, I have an interview for restaurant management next weekend and an interview for retail management the weekend after. The retail management would be a better fit for my experience and skill set, would offer a better salary, but might require me to relocate at some point. It's in Pennsylvania and most of the locations are at least an hour away, if not nearly two. The restaurant management position is local and would not require relocation (at least not any time soon), but I do not know the salary for that and I have limited food service experience. Anyway, those are currently my two best prospects for meaningful employment. I continue to fill out apps daily. At this point, I'm not even entirely sure where I have and have not applied anymore, the latter is a much, much shorter list though. I won't stop until I have a better job. I've even been looking in the Akron area for employment. It would be a drive, if not for the fact that...

Clay asked me to move in with him. I don't think I reacted at all. I probably smirked though. I've been seeing him and Woody, which isn't a secret to either of them. It's been casual. I like them both for different reasons. I should address that triangle configuration in a separate post. I didn't expect Clay to extend that offer. I hadn't seriously considered it at the time, but if I found meaningful employment in that area I might have to reconsider.

In the meantime, it's just me and the pup this weekend since my sister went to Virginia for the week. Even if I wanted to go out, I really can't afford to do so at the moment. Besides, I have more applications to fill out. Finding a better job is my new job. My goal is to have something before my current orientation is complete. I have seven more weeks to make that happen. No time to lose.

No comments: